Youngstown State University offers broad access to education though open admission for all Ohio high school graduates.
Undergraduate admission is handled by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (OUA), located in Sweeney Welcome Center at the corner of University Plaza and Bryson Street. You may contact the admissions office in any of the following ways:
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions is open on weekdays and selected Saturdays. Please call the numbers above or visit the website for times.
Transfer and Re-Admittance Policy for the Department of Art
Success in the YSU Department of Art is predicated on acquisition of the basic skills and knowledge taught in the foundation courses before advancing in the program. All students intending to pursue a BFA in Studio Art or a BS in Art Education at YSU must register for and submit a portfolio for Art 1503 Foundation Portfolio Review during the fall or spring semester.
Students in good academic standing returning to YSU after an absence of greater than ten years, who have not previously passed Art 1503 the Foundation Portfolio Review are required to register for Art 1503 and submit a portfolio for the fall or spring semester Review in order to pursue a degree in the Department of Art.
Students applying for re-admittance without the required work as outlined in the Foundation Portfolio Review guidelines (available on the website) and/or after an absence of greater than ten years will be required to repeat the foundation course work necessary to assemble the portfolio.
Students after an absence of greater than ten years may opt to submit a portfolio of work appropriate for each individual course for “Credit by Examination.” See the YSU bulletin for details.
Entrance Portfolio for Transfer Students
Prior to admission to the Art Department, students wishing to transfer from another university, college or educational institution must submit a portfolio of work to facilitate advisement and placement in the appropriate courses by the dates listed on the website.
The Entrance Portfolio should consist of 16 pieces of your strongest and most recent artwork completed at the college level. At least 7 of the portfolio samples must be from direct observation. At least 5 should be in color. The selection of works for review should show a breadth of media and reflect, as much as possible the creative and technical scope of concepts, materials and processes outlined within the YSU portfolio review guidelines listed on the website.
Transfer students bring a variety of work with varying expectations from previous institutions. After the submission of the Entrance Portfolio for Transfer Students described above the remainder of the transfer process is outlined below.
- Students transferring from another university, college or educational institution must submit an official transcript with application to YSU. The Admissions office will complete a transfer evaluation for the courses that are in their inventory.
- Transfer credit may be awarded for all or part of the foundation coursework; however a portfolio of work is still required for admission consideration.
- If all of the foundation course work has been completed at another institution, the student must register for Art 1503 Foundation Portfolio Review and submit a portfolio of work as outlined in the Foundation Portfolio Review Guidelines (available on the website).
- If the foundation course work has not been completed, the student must finish the courses upon admittance and submit a portfolio to Art 1503.
- Some transfer course work may not have a direct equivalence to a course at YSU. Credit may be awarded for the class (with the grade of C or better) towards graduation but not necessarily a specific course equivalent within the major. Such courses will read as Art15xx or Art 26xx in the transfer evaluation.
- Students wishing to transfer credits from another university, college or educational institution into their program of study must have their coursework evaluated by the appropriate department faculty.
- Potential BFA Art Studio and BS Art Education are required to submit a portfolio, and full course description for each course they wish to transfer to determine applicability to the degree. In some cases a course syllabus may be required.
Transfer Credit Evaluation Process
- Include a copy of the catalog course description (and a syllabus if needed) for each course you wish evaluated. You may be able to get these online.
- A selection of up to 10 examples of work, as determined by appropriate faculty, completed in each course is required for review. Original work or digital portfolios are acceptable. Digital portfolios should submit quality jpegs (72DPI, with the pixel dimension approx. 1000 pixels in the longest direction).
- The appropriate faculty will complete your course evaluations. Based on the portfolio of work submitted for course equivalency students may be asked to enroll in a class to strengthen their drawing and design before submitting to the Foundation Portfolio Review (Art 1503).
Transfer Student Entrance Portfolio Deadline
For summer/fall entry
12th week of semester (April) and 1st week of August
For spring entry
12th week of semester (November)
For more information, you may also refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin.